Conditions of Service for Professional Services Staff

All appointments are subject to :

  • proof of entitlement to work in the UK
  • receipt of satisfactory references,
  • satisfactory completion of a 6 month probationary period,
  • sight of relevant certificates.

Certain appointments are subject to :

  • satisfactory checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service DBS)

Hours of Work

Full time staff work 37 hours per week. Some staff working 37 hours per week are eligible to work flexi-time. Part time staff hours will be arranged by their line manager.

Place of Work

You will be based at one of the BSU sites but you may be required to work in any of the University's sites.


The post is offered on a support grade and all staff are paid monthly by direct credit transfer. Increments are awarded on 1 August each year (if you have completed 6 months service in the grade) until you reach the maximum point on the scale.


A full time employee receives:

  • 20 working days holiday per annum (grade 2 – 6)
  • 21 working days holiday per annum (grade 7 – 8A)
  • 22 working days holiday per annum (grade 9S – 9A)
  • 23 working days holiday per annum (grade 10)

plus statutory Bank Holidays, plus days when the institution is closed in the interests of efficiency. These figures are pro rata for part time staff. Term time only staff take their paid holidays during the weeks they are not required to work.


As a member of professional services staff you will automatically become a member of the Local Government Superannuation Scheme. If you do not wish to join this scheme you must complete the necessary opt out form.

From 1 September 2013 Bath Spa University will be subject to auto-enrolment legislation and should you be an eligible job holder at that date you will be automatically enrolled into a suitable pension scheme even if you have previously opted out.

Sick Absence and Pay

In the event of any absence due to sickness or injury or any other cause, you should contact your line manager on the first day of absence and advise them of the cause of your absence and its likely duration. If you are absent for more than 7 days you must submit a doctor's medical certificate to cover each day of your absence until you return work. Occupational sickness payments are dependent on your length of service.

Termination of Employment

After completion of your probationary period you will be required to give one or two calendar months notice (2 months for grade 6 and above) in writing to the institution.

Fixed term staff

If your post is fixed term and subject to external funding, your contract may be terminated before the completion of the fixed term if funding ceases. If your contract is fixed term for other reasons your contract will cease at the end of the fixed term with no further notice.

Term-time only staff

Where a member of staff employed on a term-time only contract fails to report for duty immediately following a holiday period (i.e., Christmas, Easter or Summer vacations) and has not given the required period of notice prior to the end of the previous term, his or her salary will be paid up to and including their last working day only. This clause will not apply in cases of sickness absence supported either by a medical certificate or by a self-certification form.

Equality and Diversity

The University is committed to promoting equality and to providing an environment of sensitivity and tolerance.

Exclusivity of Service

External work, which is supportive of your professional responsibilities is encouraged by the University, however this must not interfere with the performance of your professional responsibilities or compete or conflict with the interests of the University and must be agreed by Human Resources prior to commencement.

Confidential Information

You shall not, during or after your employment, except as authorised by the University, use for your own benefit or gain or divulge to any persons, firm, company or any other organisations whatsoever any confidential information belonging to the University or relating to its affairs or dealings which may come to your knowledge during your employment. This restriction does not apply to information or knowledge which subsequently comes into the public domain.

International Travel and Time off in Lieu

Every effort should be made to ensure that any international travel on University business is undertaken within normal working hours. Any agreed international travel outside normal working hours or at weekends will be compensated with time off in lieu. So if travelling for up to 4 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, a half-day of TOIL will be allowed. If travelling more than 4 hours a full-days TOIL will be allowed. This TOIL needs to be taken immediately or within a week, or it will be lost, following the international travel so if accrued at a weekend the TOIL is taken the following week.

Arrangements regarding International Travel and TOIL should be discussed with the member of staff's line manager prior to travelling abroad.

Research Associates and Research Assistants only

Patents and Inventions

Any matter or thing capable of being patented under the Patents Act 1977, made, developed or discovered by you either alone or in concert, whilst in the performance of your normal duties, duties specifically assigned to you or arising out of anything done by you, shall be disclosed by the University and subject to the provision of the Patents Act shall belong to and be the absolute property of the University.


Any work or design compiled, edited or otherwise brought into existence by you as a scholarly work (books, contributions to books, articles and conference papers) produced to further your professional career shall belong to you. Material produced by yourself for personal use and reference, including as an aid to teaching, shall belong to you. Course materials produced by you for the purposes of the curriculum of a course run by the University, produced, used and or disseminated by the University shall belong to the University. This also applies to the outcomes of research specifically funded and supported by the University. All record, documents and other papers which pertain to the finance and administration of the University which are acquired by you shall be the property of the University.

Last updated: May 2013