We welcome applications from non-EEA (European Economic Area) nationals, subject to right to work in the UK, or the ability to obtain right to work if appointed. Please read the below guidance before applying:

As a non-EEA national, you may not need to apply for a visa. You may have obtained settlement (indefinite leave to remain or ILR) in which case you have the right to work in the UK.

If not, BSU is a sponsoring organisation under UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points Based System. However, certificates of sponsorship are limited by government and posts must meet minimum salary and qualification levels to be eligible. A Resident Labour Market Test must also be carried out to ensure there are no suitable applicants who are settled workers or from within the EEA. In addition to being granted a certificate of sponsorship, applicants must be able to demonstrate they meet English language requirements plus have sufficient maintenance to obtain a visa.

Subject to meeting the above requirements, if you are already in the UK on a timed stay with valid right to work, BSU may issue (though there is no automatic guarantee) an ‘unrestricted’ certificate of sponsorship from an annual amount granted to us by the UKVI. For overseas applicants we must put in a request to the UKVI for permission to issue a ‘restricted’ certificate of sponsorship, subject to a national quota.

Examples of valid immigration categories for a timed stay include:

  • Work permit (no longer issued) – you may be able to switch into tier 2
  • Post-study work visa (no longer issued) – you may be able to switch into tier 2
  • Tier 4 student visa. Usually restricted to up to 20 hours of work during term time. You may be able to switch into tier 2 once your studies are complete
  • Tier 2 is a highly skilled work route and covers degree level jobs. Even if you currently have a tier 2 visa for another organisation, you will need to be sponsored by Bath Spa to work for us. Full time academic posts will be eligible for certificates of sponsorship. If the post for which you’re applying is a professional services post, or a part time academic post, please email so we can consult the UKVI code of practice for the role and ensure it meets meet minimum rates of pay and skill levels.

We are obliged to inform the UKVI by completing the "Notification of Premature End of Employment" (NPEE) form if you resign or are dismissed before your visa expires.

If your visa expires and you have not made a valid, in-time application to extend, switch into another tier or for ILR, you may be dismissed for some other substantial reason.

Bath Spa uses the services of an immigration advice company. Any fees for their services in managing visa applications for employees will be met by the University. Home Office fees, and fees incurred as a result of applications for dependants will be the responsibility of the employee.

If you have any questions regarding the above please contact us by email at